I am sending you this message to tell you about an event coming up later this year. I am requesting that you post it on your club’s website and possibly even announce this event during your meetings/nets.
The Keystone Trails Association (https://www.kta-hike.org/) is sponsoring their annual Trail Challenge for 2021. It is scheduled for the first Saturday after Labor Day (11-Sep-21) for the day. It is located in the southern end of Lancaster and York Counties.
The role of the ham radio operator is to provide communications among the various starting points, checkpoints and ending point. Altogether, these are the event locations:
- Pequea Creek Campground, Lancaster County (50k start point and both courses end point)
- Susquehannock State Park, Lancaster County (25k start point)
- Pinnacle Overlook, Lancaster County (Checkpoints 1 and 3)
- Lock 12, York County (Checkpoint 2)
- Trail sweeps in between…
- Net Control Station (Pequea Creek Campground, Lancaster County)
- Assistant Net Manager
Those who’ve worked it in the past will notice differences. There are several locations plus needs for ham operators with hiking skills (sweeps). The event is primarily operating on VHF/UHF HT’s for all the locations. There will be a dedicated repeater (thanks to our friends in Keystone VHF Club!) in the area and operators will be encouraged to ‘vest up’ and bring their extra batteries.
The role is to set up at a selected location and track the bib numbers of the hikers coming through, record them on a ‘bingo sheet’, report any dropouts and pass along other traffic (water needs, medical needs, etc.). This is low stress and a great experience! Plus, it’s in the time of the year that it’s still nice and warm out and enjoyable for the day.
If you are interested in participating, two things to do:
- Go to their volunteer page and register with them
- Send an e-mail to Dan Boone (email@example.com) and report you’ve registered and request a position that interests you most
– Daniel Boone